There are 3 types of research and testing under the center.
1) Biomedical research using cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis) as animal models in ABSL1 or 2 facility in the center, including
- Pharmacokinetics of insulin, parathyroid hormone, erythropoietin, growth hormone and Thai herbal extract.
- Safety and efficacy test of Dengue and Zika vaccine
- Safety test of COVID-19 vaccine
- Spinal subpial AAV delivery
2) Field study which has been conducted in free-ranging monkeys outside the NPRCT-CU.
- 2.1. Infectious diseases in cynomolgus and rhesus macaques (Macaca mulatta), including
- Viruses such as B-virus, SIV, SRV, STLV, and flavivirus
- Enteric parasites and bacteria
- 2.2. Genetic diversity of rhesus macaques and the two subspecies of long-tailed macaques (Macaca fascicularis fascicularis and M. f. aurea), including
- Whole genome sequencing
- Population genetics
- Major histocompatibility complex (MHC) diversity
- 2.3. Reproduction and behaviors in stump-tailed macaques (M. arctoides) and Burmese long-tailed macaques (M. f. aurea)
3) Behavioral and cognitive neuroscience investigating behaviors and cognition of in-house as well as free-ranging monkeys with 3 main focuses
- Tool use and cognitive flexibility
- Social cognition and intelligence
- Behavioral management of captive NHPs